Scroll down for 2015-16 school supplies lists
Albany, NY 12202
Shelette R. Pleat,
planned for 2015-16
Academy of Science and Technolgy will repurpose its
Museum Room to accomodate a third sixth-grade classroom
for 2015-16 in an effort to manage growing enrollment at
the elementary and middle-school levels.
TOAST is one of three elementary
schools that will have enrollment changes for next
school year, along with New Scotland Elementary School
and Pine Hills Elementary School.
TOAST has served in past years as a
"three-deep" school -- three classrooms per grade -- for
prekindergarten through grade 5, with a capacity of
about 475 students. However, TOAST retained its
sixth-graders (two sections) for the current school year
due to enrollment pressure at William S. Hackett Middle
School. This school year, TOAST currently is serving 544
students from pre-K through grade 6.
The school currently has three
fifth-grade classes and does not have space in its
current classroom configuration to accommodate a third
section of sixth grade in 2015-16. To be able to serve
three classrooms of sixth-graders, TOAST will repurpose
its Museum Room for 2015-16. The school will continue to
include museum studies in the curriculum.
TOAST will look at returning the
Museum Room to its traditional use in 2016-17 if the
district’s upcoming study of longer-term enrollment
patterns includes TOAST’s sixth-graders moving on to
Please visit our District News section to read more.
The board and district considered
returning TOAST’s sixth-graders to Hackett for 2015-16.
However, this option would have increased Hackett’s
enrollment to an estimated 712 students, well above the
school’s ideal capacity of 650 and its current
enrollment of 656. District enrollment estimates predict
652 students at Hackett in 2015-16 without the TOAST
O'Brien Academy of Science and Technology
The school we know as
Thomas O'Brien Academy of Science and Technology (TOAST)
was built in 1954 as Public School 24. Its namesake is
Thomas O'Brien, who served as principal at P.S. 24 more
than 100 years ago. He died in 1921 at the age of 72,
and the school was named after him when it became at
magnet school in 1990. The original P.S. 24 was built in
1893 and located just a few blocks north of the current
school on the Delaware Avenue plot of land where the
Boys and Girls Club of Albany now stands.
The TOAST building reopened in January 2010 following a complete
renovation. It now features state-of-the-art computers
and technology in every classroom and throughout the
We are proud to be able
to provide a range of programs and services to take care
of our children's academic needs as well as provide
health and wellness services onsite. These services
mobile dental health services through our
partnership with St. Peter's Hospital and Ronald
Click here for more information about the district's
magnet schools, or call the Magnet Office at 475-6551.
begins: 8 a.m.
School day ends:
child care ends: 6 p.m.
Tuesday, Sept. 8
-- First day of school for 2015-16
News and information
If your child is absent
for any reason, call the school nurse at 475-6875 during
the morning and provide a written excuse when your child
returns to school.