Albany's public high schools
history of our high schools
you graduated from an Albany public school in the last century, you are
an alumnus or alumna of one of three schools: Albany High School,
Harriet Gibbons High School or Philip Schuyler High School.
Albany High School
The first Albany High School
began in 1868 as the Albany Free Academy, housed in Van Vechten Hall at
119 State Street. In 1873 its name changed to Albany High School and in
1876 it was relocated to the corner of Eagle and Columbia streets. That
building was torn down in 1912 and the Albany County Courthouse stands
on the spot today.
The third Albany High School building opened
in 1913 on Lake Street between Washington and Western avenues. It served
as a high school until 1974.
The Albany High School of today
opened in 1974 after the merging of Philip Schuyler High School and the
Albany HIgh School building on Lake Avenue. Located at 700 Washington
Avenue, the school serves approximately 2,400 students in grades 9-12.
The school is divided into
academies and includes its own
career and technical
In 2012, the City School District of
Albany put together a committee of community and district
representatives to study the pros and cons of renovating the current
high school building versus building a new facility. The committee, the
ad hoc High School Facilities Committee, will report its findings to
the board in the spring.
Harriet Gibbons High School
Harriet Gibbons HIgh School began in 1970 as the independent
Street Academy, serving students in grades 9-12. The school became part
of the City School District of Albany in 1973 and was housed at 165
Clinton Avenue until 1991.
Street Academy was renamed in 1992
after the death of Harriet Gibbons, the school's second principal
(1974-77) and the first African-American woman elected to the school
board. The school went on to be located at 27 Western Avenue and 400
Sheridan Avenue before settling in its new location at 75 Watervliet
Avenue in 2003.
In 2005, Harriet Gibbons High School was
restructured to a ninth-grade academy to provide added supports for
small groups of freshmen with high academic needs and students who
preferred a smaller learning environment. The school closed in 2010.
Philip Schuyler High School
Philip Schuyler High
School, located on Trinity Place, was built in 1915 and began as Public
School 14. It was renamed in 1934 after Philip Schulyer, an Albany
native, a general in the American Revolution and a United States
The school closed when it merged with Albany High School
in 1974. The building has been converted to apartments.