Community School -- formerly known as Public School 18 -- opened its doors
as a brand new school in January 2007. The original School 18 was
demolished in July 2005 to make way for a brand new, state-of-the-art
school. To view photos of the new school, visit the
Delaware Photo Gallery.
school was constructed as a one-floor building in 1914. A second floor
was added in 1916, and a third in 1918. However, the original school could not be
restored to meet
the educational standards of students today.
classrooms in the original building could not support computer use due
to limited electrical outlets. PS 18 was also not handicapped
accessible. The gym was small and poorly designed. Student bathrooms
were located only in the basement.
New and state-of-the-art
The 50,000-square-foot, three-story school is divided into
"neighborhoods" with more space for an outside playground and off-street
parking. The new building will have an interior courtyard and serve up
to 450 students in grades K-5.
are designed to provide smaller learning environments where students are
grouped by grade level. The school will also be handicapped accessible,
energy efficient, and technologically advanced. In addition, the
district has purchased additional property to provide room for the new
playground and parking areas.
classrooms for grades K-5 (all kindergarten rooms with
special education classrooms with support rooms for special services
room with practice area and space for storage
room with kiln and storage space
Administrative support areas for principal, counseling, attendance,
and special services
suite with exam room, bed area, and toilet
Faculty work area
Computers and Internet access in every classroom
conditioning throughout the building
Energy-efficient heating and ventilation systems
security and fire detection systems