2021-22 Back to School Plan
The district will notify the state and county health departments immediately upon being informed of any positive COVID-19 diagnostic test result by an individual within school facilities or on school grounds, including students, employees and visitors.
To assist the county health department with tracing the transmission of COVID-19, the district will continue to implement a plan to trace all contacts of exposed individuals in accordance with protocols and training.
The district will assist with contact tracing by:
- Keeping accurate attendance records of students and staff members.
- Ensuring student schedules are up to date.
- Keeping a log of any visitor that includes date and time, and where in the school they visited.
- Assisting the county health department in tracing all contacts of the individual in accordance with the protocol, training and tools provided through the NYS Contact Tracing Program.
Protocols for contact tracing
In all cases, confidentiality must be maintained as required by federal and state laws and regulations. The county health department will conduct contact tracing and advise the district's medical director of the notification process to the impacted school or building community.
School staff are not to determine exclusionary practices without guidance and direction from the county health department and the district's medical director.
If COVID-19 cases are discovered in a school or district building, the district will take the following steps in consultation with the county health department:
- Work with the county health department on contact tracing
- Notify those impacted individuals
- Disinfect affected areas of the building in accordance with state and local guidelines
Contact is unvaccinated
- Mandatory quarantine for 10 days
- Continue to watch for symptoms days 11-14
- If symptoms return or emerge during days 11-14, a test is required and the 10-day quarantine begins again from the date of onset of symptoms until the individual receives negative test results
Contact is vaccinated
- No quarantine required
- It is recommended, but not mandated, that vaccinated individuals who are identified as a contact get tested on day 3-5 after exposure
- If symptoms emerge within 14 days after exposure, a test is recommended
The City School District of Albany continues to work in collaboration with our state and local health and education partners and medical professionals to review the latest COVID-19 guidance and recommendations. As new information is provided to us, we will update this document accordingly.