Student in City School District of Albany using microscope graphic link to Board of Education pages graphic link to school directory pages
box bullet

HOME

box bullet About Us
box bullet

Academics

box bullet

After-School and Extended-Day Care

box bullet

Albany A-Z

box bullet

Albany Booster Club and School PTAs

box bullet

Albany Fund for Education

box bullet

Alumni

box bullet

Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR)

box bullet Art
box bullet Assurance of Discontinuance
box bullet

Athletics

box bullet Bids/RFPs
box bullet Buildings and Grounds
box bullet

Calendar

box bullet

Dignity for All Students Act

box bullet

Early Childhood

box bullet

Employment

box bullet ENL and Refugee Services
box bullet

Feedback

box bullet Grade Configuration/Middle School Enrollment
box bullet

Grants and Program Development

box bullet

Hall of Fame

box bullet Human Resources
box bullet

Library

box bullet

Music

box bullet

News

box bullet

Parent University

box bullet

Professional Development

box bullet

Programs and Services

box bullet Pupil Personnel Services
box bullet Receivership
box bullet

Search Our Site

box bullet

Student Registration

box bullet Summer School

box bullet

Volunteering

box bullet

Website Accessibility

  Alternate document versions available by request: 518.475.6065

 

Facilities Plan: School-by-School

Eagle Point Elementary School
1044 Western Avenue

 

On Thursday, December 15, 2005, Eagle Point Elementary School hosted a ribbon cutting celebration for students, families, and neighbors. Superintendent Eva Joseph, Mayor Gerald Jennings, the Board of Education, and Principal Kathleen Brown were joined by hundreds of students and their families at the grand opening event. To view highlights of the project, visit the Eagle Point Photo Gallery.

Students returned to the school for classes in January 2006.

The renovated and expanded school will serve up to 300 students in a reinvigorated small school environment. The district also carefully preserved the school's historic architecture while modernizing classrooms to meet educational needs.

Public School 27 was built in 1925. Although it appears large from the outside, for more than 20 years the school has been too small to support contemporary learning techniques. Classroom space was limited and many students were forced to learn in temporary trailers. In addition, many of the school's special services were offered in converted closets and hallways. And, prior to renovation and expansion, the school had no cafeteria and limited playground space.

In addition to the renovation of PS 27, the district added a 40,000-square-foot addition, providing enough space to serve up to 300 students in grades K-5.

Renovated & Expanded:

  • 12 enlarged K-5 classrooms (all Kindergarten rooms enlarged to 900 square feet; elementary rooms to 770 square feet)

  • New 30,500-square-foot addition with classrooms, gym and cafeteria

  • Conversion of the original gym into library/media center

  • Historic facade, marble-trimmed lobby, and other features preserved and upgraded

Enhanced Academics:

  • Computers and Internet access in every classroom

  • 2 Special Education classrooms with support space for special services

  • 2 tutorial/enrichment rooms

  • 1 computer classroom with room for 24 terminals

  • 1 music classroom with practice room and storage

  • 1 art room

Other features:

  • Administrative support area for principal, guidance, attendance, and special services

  • Faculty work area

  • Parent/community room

  • Nurse's suite with exam room, bed, and toilet

  • Full handicapped accessibility

  • New exterior doors and interior partitions

  • Air conditioning throughout the building

  • Energy-efficient heating and lighting systems

  • Building security and fire detection systems

  • Careful restoration of exterior masonry, windows, and doors

 

graphic header for quick links

 

Link to Board of Ed page Link to Directory page Link to Our Schools page