The following message is from City School District of Albany Superintendent Kaweeda G. Adams:
I am writing to let you know that we were notified Tuesday afternoon that a member of the Stephen and Harriet Myers Middle School community has tested positive for COVID-19. The individual was last in the building on Friday, Oct. 2, and did not display any symptoms at that time. The individual practiced appropriate social distancing and wore a mask at all times while in the building, and is now in quarantine in alignment with Albany County Department of Health guidelines.
Following health department guidance, no additional steps are recommended for our school at this time. Myers will continue with normal operations at Albany High School. The health department is continuing contact tracing and will provide further notifications to specific individuals if necessary.
Myers health and safety procedures include cleaning and sanitizing the building nightly. We will continue with these procedures, and all buildings district-wide also will continue to follow these practices as well as all required COVID-19 precautions (pre-arrival symptom screening and temperature screening for students and staff, wearing masks, hand hygiene, social distancing of 6 feet or more, and other precautions). Our employees will continue to follow these protocols consistently.
We also would like to remind everyone of steps you can take to help be safe:
1. Maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet at all times from those you don’t live with.
2. Always wear a mask that covers both the mouth and nose when you are out of your home.
3. Wash hands with soap and water frequently when out of your home. If you cannot use soap and water, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
4. Don’t touch the eyes, nose or mouth unless your hands are clean.
5. Complete the Student COVID-19 Screener each day before your child leaves for school; it's also available from the Students/Families dropdown menu above.
6. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO SCHOOL WHEN THEY ARE SICK OR HAVE SYMPTOMS:
- Signs of COVID-19 are: fever, fatigue/tiredness, muscle/body aches or pains, congestion, cough, runny nose, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, nausea/vomiting or diarrhea, headache, loss of taste or smell, rash, feeling sick or unwell in any way.
- You can get a COVID-19 test by calling the New York State Department of Health COVID-19 Hotline at (888) 364-3065 or Whitney Young Clinic at (518) 465-4771. You also can find resources here.