The City School District of Albany was notified Friday that two people in the district have tested positive for COVID-19.
One individual is associated with Stephen and Harriet Myers Middle School at its regular location at 100 Elbel Court off Whitehall Road. This individual was last in that building Nov. 13 and was not in the building at Myers’ temporary location at Albany High School. The individual is now quarantined at home. The Albany County Health Department has identified one additional contact; this person also is quarantined at home.
The second confirmed case involves an individual associated with the district offices at Harriet Gibbons Student Services Center. This individual was last in the building Nov. 13 and now is quarantined at home. The health department has identified no additional contacts.
All potentially impacted individuals at Myers and Harriet Gibbons have been contacted; the health department has indicated that there are no other steps necessary for either community at this time.
Health and safety procedures at all district buildings include cleaning and sanitizing nightly. We will continue with these procedures, and also will continue to follow all required COVID-19 precautions (pre-arrival symptom screening and temperature screening for students and staff, wearing masks, hand hygiene, social distancing of 6 feet or more, and other precautions).
We also would like to remind everyone of steps you can take to help be safe:
- Maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet at all times from those you don’t live with.
- Always wear a mask that covers both the mouth and nose when you are out of your home.
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently when out of your home. If you cannot use soap and water, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Don’t touch the eyes, nose or mouth unless your hands are clean.
- Complete the Student COVID-19 Screener each day before your child leaves for school, available from the Students/Families dropdown menu above.
- DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO SCHOOL WHEN THEY ARE SICK OR HAVE SYMPTOMS:
- Signs of COVID-19 are: fever, fatigue/tiredness, muscle/body aches or pains, congestion, cough, runny nose, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, nausea/vomiting or diarrhea, headache, loss of taste or smell, rash, feeling sick or unwell in any way.
- You can get a COVID-19 test by calling the New York State Department of Health COVID-19 Hotline at (888) 364-3065, or Whitney M. Young Jr. Health Center at (518) 407-0172 or (518) 465-4771.
- You also can find resources here: