The City School District of Albany was notified Tuesday of five new confirmed cases of COVID-19. In each case, the person who has tested positive and all associated contacts are quarantining at home.
Two cases involve Albany High School. One case is associated with the junior class. This individual was last in school Sept. 14 and the Albany County Health Department has identified one additional contact. The second case is associated with the sophomore class. This individual was last in the building Sept. 16 and the health department has identified no additional contacts with this case.
Another case is associated with a fifth-grade classroom at Albany School of Humanities (ASH). This individual was last in the building Sept. 20. The health department has identified 11 additional contacts from a First Student bus.
Another case is associated with a prekindergarten classroom at Delaware Community School. This individual was last in the building Sept. 20. The health department has identified no additional contacts.
Tuesday’s final case is associated with a prekindergarten classroom at Giffen Memorial Elementary School. This individual was last in the building Sept. 17. The health department has identified 11 additional contacts with this case.
Health and safety procedures at all district buildings continue to include cleaning and sanitizing nightly. We will continue with these procedures, and also will continue to follow all required COVID-19 precautions (wearing masks inside all district buildings, hand hygiene, social distancing of 3 feet or more in all classrooms, and other precautions).
We also would like to remind everyone of steps you can take to help be safe:
- Maintain social distance at all times from those you don’t live with.
- Always wear a mask that covers both the mouth and nose when inside at school or when your student is riding a bus to or from school.
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently when out of your home. If you cannot use soap and water, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Don’t touch the eyes, nose or mouth unless your hands are clean.
- DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO SCHOOL WHEN THEY ARE SICK OR HAVE SYMPTOMS:
- Signs of COVID-19 are: fever, fatigue/tiredness, muscle/body aches or pains, congestion, cough, runny nose, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, nausea/vomiting or diarrhea, headache, loss of taste or smell, rash, feeling sick or unwell in any way.
- You can get a COVID-19 test by calling the New York State Department of Health COVID-19 Hotline at (888) 364-3065, or Whitney M. Young Jr. Health Center at (518) 407-0172 or (518) 465-4771.
- You also can find resources here:
- In alignment with the recommendations of federal, state and local health and medical professionals, the City School District of Albany strongly encourages everyone 12 and older who is eligible and able to get a COVID-19 vaccination.
- You can find information about COVID-19 vaccinations on the Albany County Health Department website: