The City School District of Albany was notified Wednesday of two new confirmed cases of COVID-19, both associated with Arbor Hill Elementary School.
The first case is associated with a kindergarten classroom. The individual was last in school Nov. 5 and is quarantined at home. The Albany County Health Department has identified 10 additional contacts, five of whom are not required to quarantine because they are fully vaccinated.
As a result of this case, the affected kindergarten classroom will shift to distance learning on Friday after returning from Thursday’s recess day in observance of Veterans Day. The class is scheduled to return to in-person instruction on Monday, Nov. 15.
Wednesday’s second case at Arbor Hill involves an individual who was last in the building Nov. 10. The health department has identified two additional contacts. All individuals are quarantined at home.
Health and safety procedures at all district buildings continue to include cleaning and sanitizing. We will continue with these procedures, and also will continue to follow all required COVID-19 precautions (wearing masks inside all district buildings, hand hygiene, social distancing of 3 feet or more in all classrooms, and other precautions).
We also would like to remind everyone of steps you can take to help be safe:
- Maintain social distance at all times from those you don’t live with.
- Always wear a mask that covers both the mouth and nose when inside at school or when your student is riding a bus to or from school.
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently when out of your home. If you cannot use soap and water, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Don’t touch the eyes, nose or mouth unless your hands are clean.
- DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO SCHOOL WHEN THEY ARE SICK OR HAVE SYMPTOMS:
- Signs of COVID-19 are: fever, fatigue/tiredness, muscle/body aches or pains, congestion, cough, runny nose, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, nausea/vomiting or diarrhea, headache, loss of taste or smell, rash, feeling sick or unwell in any way.
- You can get a COVID-19 test by calling the New York State Department of Health COVID-19 Hotline at (888) 364-3065, or Whitney M. Young Jr. Health Center at (518) 407-0172 or (518) 465-4771.
- You also can find resources here:
- In alignment with the recommendations of federal, state and local health and medical professionals, the City School District of Albany strongly encourages everyone 12 and older who is eligible and able to get a COVID-19 vaccination.
- You can find information about COVID-19 vaccinations on the Albany County Health Department website: