The City School District of Albany was notified Wednesday of five new confirmed cases of COVID-19. The individuals and their unvaccinated contacts are quarantining at home.
One case is associated 12th grade at Albany High School. The individual was last in school Nov. 23, and the Albany County Health Department identified no additional contacts with the case.
Another case is associated with fourth grade at Albany School of Humanities (ASH). The individual was last in school Nov. 23, and the health department identified no additional contacts with the case.
Another case is associated Giffen Memorial Elementary School. The individual was last in school Dec. 3. The health department identified five additional contacts; all are vaccinated and do not require quarantine.
The fourth case is associated with fourth grade at New Scotland Elementary School. The individual was last in school Nov. 30. The health department identified 16 additional contacts with the case; of those, four are vaccinated and do not require quarantine.
Wednesday’s final case is associated with Stephen and Harriet Myers Middle School. This individual was last in the building Dec. 3. The health department has identified one additional contact who is vaccinated and does not require quarantine.
Health and safety procedures at all district buildings continue to include cleaning and sanitizing. We will continue with these procedures, and also will continue to follow all required COVID-19 precautions (wearing masks inside all district buildings, hand hygiene, social distancing of 3 feet or more in all classrooms, and other precautions).
We also would like to remind everyone of steps you can take to help be safe:
- Maintain social distance at all times from those you don’t live with.
- Always wear a mask that covers both the mouth and nose when inside at school or when your student is riding a bus to or from school.
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently when out of your home. If you cannot use soap and water, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Don’t touch the eyes, nose or mouth unless your hands are clean.
- DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO SCHOOL WHEN THEY ARE SICK OR HAVE SYMPTOMS:
- Signs of COVID-19 are: fever, fatigue/tiredness, muscle/body aches or pains, congestion, cough, runny nose, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, nausea/vomiting or diarrhea, headache, loss of taste or smell, rash, feeling sick or unwell in any way.
- You can get a COVID-19 test by calling the New York State Department of Health COVID-19 Hotline at (888) 364-3065, or Whitney M. Young Jr. Health Center at (518) 407-0172 or (518) 465-4771.
- You also can find resources here:
- In alignment with the recommendations of federal, state and local health and medical professionals, the City School District of Albany strongly encourages everyone 5 and older who is eligible and able to get a COVID-19 vaccination.
- You can find information about COVID-19 vaccinations on the Albany County Health Department website: