We are sharing a reminder about the upcoming Federal Emergency Management Agency nationwide test of emergency alert systems scheduled Wednesday, Oct. 4, at approximately 2:20 p.m. We want to remind you of this emergency alert test to avoid undue concern or anxiety.
Please see the following information that the New York State Education Department has shared regarding the FEMA Nationwide Emergency Alert:
Nationwide Emergency Alert System and Wireless Emergency Alert test scheduled for Oct. 4, 2023
- On Wednesday, Oct. 4, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, in coordination with the Federal Communications Commission, will conduct a nationwide Emergency Alert System and Wireless Emergency Alert test.
- The test includes sending a "test message" to all televisions, radios and cell phones.
- At approximately 2:20 pm Eastern Standard Time, all powered-on cell phones within range of a cell tower will receive a test alert message as part of FEMA’s nationwide test of its Integrated Public Alert and Warning System.
Please note that this test will coincide approximately with the dismissal time for our early start elementary schools:
- Albany School of Humanities
- Eagle Point Elementary School
- Montessori Magnet School
- Pine Hills Elementary School
- Sheridan Preparatory Academy
- Thomas O'Brien Academy of Science and Technology
For all other district schools, Wednesday’s test will occur during the school day.
Thank you in advance for assisting with the emergency alert notification awareness and supporting the preparation for Wednesday’s nationwide test.
Please also note that Wednesday’s test is completely unrelated to our planned Go Home Early emergency preparedness drill scheduled for Friday. All schools will dismiss 15 minutes early Friday.