The philosophy of Parent University is that parenting, like other types of education, is a lifelong learning process.
We know that children tend to do better in school when their parents or guardians are involved in their education. With that in mind, Parent University helps parents and guardians understand how to work effectively with their child's teachers and others at school. Parent University also offers monthly trainings and workshops on a variety of subjects parents want to know about. The programs are free and conducted by local experts in their fields.
The City School District of Albany launched its Parent University program in the spring of 2015, and it continues to grow and evolve. We launched the project in all our middle schools, since this is the point at which parent involvement tends to drop off dramatically. Middle school also is a time when many students' grades, attitudes and behaviors take a turn for the worse -- a trend here in Albany, throughout the state and across the nation.
- To connect more parents and guardians to their children's school
- To create productive and open relationships between parents and guardians, children and schools
- To empower parents to raise children who are successful in school and in life
- To provide parents with tools to raise confident, successful children prepared to live and work in the 21st century.
Articles and resources from the American Academy of Pediatrics
Articles from the Harvard Family Research Council
- Public libraries: A vital space for family engagement
- Formula for success: Engaging in early math learning
- How digital media tools help promote math learning
- Helping older youth succeed through expanded learning opportunities
- Families and Expanded Learning Opportunities: Working Together to Support Children’s Learning
- Year-Round Learning: Continuity In Education Across Settings and Time Through Expanded Learning Opportunities
- Family Involvement in Middle and High School Students' Education
- Helping Families Pave the Path to College: Supporting the Developmental Practices that Facilitate College Readiness
Family Engagement Blog from the Harvard Family Research Council
Information about Common Core
Parent University calendar
We’re sorry, no events were found for this calendar.