The City School District of Albany was notified Monday of one new confirmed case of COVID-19, and the person is quarantining at home.
The case involves Pine Hills Elementary School The person is not associated with a particular grade and was last in school April 14.
Please be reminded that as of March 2, schools no longer are required to quarantine individuals who in the past have been identified as contacts of a person who tests positive. We will now identify anyone within a 6-foot radius of a positive individual as having been exposed and provide notification to that individual or, in the case of a student, their parent or guardian. We will continue to report positive cases.
Health and safety procedures continue at all district buildings and on buses, including cleaning and sanitizing. We also would like to remind everyone of steps you can take to help be safe:
1. While masks are now optional as of March 2 in all school buildings in New York and, in our school district, on First Student buses that transport students, the state continues to require masks for everyone riding public transportation, which includes CDTA buses that serve our schools. The district will respect the personal decision of all individuals and families regarding wearing masks in those settings where they are now optional.
2. Wash hands with soap and water frequently when out of your home. If you cannot use soap and water, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
3. Don’t touch the eyes, nose or mouth unless your hands are clean.
4. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO SCHOOL WHEN THEY ARE SICK OR HAVE SYMPTOMS:
- Signs of COVID-19 are fever, fatigue/tiredness, muscle/body aches or pains, congestion, cough, runny nose, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, nausea/vomiting or diarrhea, headache, loss of taste or smell, rash, feeling sick or unwell in any way.
- Please notify your school nurse if you are keeping your child home from school with symptoms; you can find that contact information on your school’s page at www.albanyschools.org.
5. We continue to encourage everyone 5 and older who is able and eligible to get vaccinated.
- The Albany County Health Department offers frequent opportunities for free COVID-19 vaccinations in a variety of locations. You can learn more at https://www.albanycounty.com/departments/health/coronavirus-covid-19/vaccination
- Crossgates Mall is one of 10 vaccination sites statewide for children 5-11. You can get an appointment at https://am-i-eligible.covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/
- To find additional locations near you, visit vaccines.gov or call 800-232-0233.