The City School District of Albany is cancelling all non-essential school and district activities through April 30 out of an abundance of caution due to COVID-19 and related health concerns.
The district also is suspending the use of all facilities by outside organizations through April 30. We will continue to actively monitor all COVID-19 guidance and should the April 30 date change we will provide additional updates.
Our regular after-school programs will continue to operate on a normal schedule. Please note that this will be based on the capacity and staffing of our providers.
Cleaning and sanitizing
The district implemented heightened cleaning and sanitizing practices earlier this winter, with Maintenance Department staff members engaging in deep cleaning in buildings during the holiday break in December and winter break in February.
Maintenance staff also have continued to emphasize these practices on all day and night cleaning shifts in all buildings, with an emphasis on high-traffic areas and surfaces including door knobs, drinking fountains, hand rails, light switches and bathrooms. In addition to traditional cleaning tools, district staff also have been using electrostatic sprayers that mist disinfectant.
These practices will continue as part of our regular cleaning procedures in all buildings, including Academy Park and the Harriet Gibbons Student Services Center.
Examples of events that have been cancelled
- Albany High School spring musical – March 12-15
- SAT exam at Albany High School – March 14
- Community budget presentation at Hackett Middle School – March 16
- All-City Band Concert at Myers Middle School – March 18
- Student participation in the Joseph Henry Science Fair at The College of St. Rose – March 20
- Winter Guard Home Show at Albany High School – March 21
- NYSSMA Festival at Myers Middle School – March 21
- Albany High School JROTC Military Ball at the American Legion Zaloga Post – March 28
- Albany High School College Fair – April 1
- ACT exam at Albany High School – April 4
- Albany High School Spring Fling Dance – April 4
- Albany High School Chamber Concert – April 8
- Albany High School Pep Rally – April 9
All non-essential school events also are cancelled until further notice, including events during the school day and in the evenings. These include school science fairs, STEAM or ELA nights, multicultural nights and events focused on parents and guardians.
If you have any questions about whether an event at your school has been cancelled, please contact your principal.
Additional cancellations include:
- The March 18 magnet and prekindergarten lotteries will be closed to the public. The lotteries will be held as scheduled and families will be notified of the results following our standard procedures. Please visit our Early Childhood and Magnet sections for more information.
- All Parent University meetings are cancelled through April 30.
- All school field trips are cancelled through April 30.
- We are suspending our Volunteer Program until further notice.
Spring athletic practices
Preseason practice for Albany High spring sports will continue on a normal schedule, as will preseason practice for modified spring sports (grades 7-8), which is scheduled to begin Monday. A decision about spring interscholastic athletic competition, which begins later this month, will be made at a later date in partnership with Capital Region BOCES and other area school districts.
We are continuing to follow our regular attendance protocols at this time. However, the district recognizes and respects individual decisions of parents and guardians regarding school attendance. If your child will be out of school due to health concerns or for any reason, please remember to call your school each day that your child will be out.
Adult Continuing Education
Registration for the spring semester of our Adult Continuing Education programs will be held as scheduled March 18-19 at Stephen and Harriet Myers Middle School. Details regarding the program will be provided at a later date.