Albany High Academy Lottery
Applications due by Nov. 19
Online application for the 2021-22 Albany High School Academy Lottery is now open.
The lottery is open to all incoming freshmen and new students, as well as to current Albany High students wishing to change academies for next school year. Students need to submit a lottery application to increase their chances of entering the academy of their choice.
Albany High has four academies, each with its own theme: Citizenship, Discovery Innovation and Leadership. These physically smaller learning environments are designed to help students feel connected, involved and engaged. Students are assigned to each academy through a lottery they are encouraged to enter.
Please take a moment to review the information on this page before beginning your application.
The lottery will be held Dec. 10.
The application asks students to decide which academy they would prefer to attend by ranking their first, second, third and fourth choices.
Enrollment in each academy is capped to help balance the student body across the four academies.
For each academy, the lottery will randomly select 175 students who listed that academy as their first choice on the application. Remaining seats available in that academy then will be randomly filled with students who selected it as their second, third or fourth choice.
Students who do not enter the lottery by the application deadline are assigned randomly across the four academies.
Applications are also available in our top languages other than English. Completed applications can be mailed or hand-delivered to:
City School District of Albany
1 Academy Park
Albany, NY 12207
Virtual Academy Information Night
Our Academy Information Night event is designed to help future Falcons decide which Albany High themed academy. This year, our Academy Night consisted of a virtual presentation, which families can watch at any time.
What all academies share
All the academies offer the same core classes in English, math, science and social studies, and students generally take those courses in the academy to which they are assigned.
Also, students have the opportunity to take Albany High’s acclaimed Advanced Placement courses in all four academies. All students also may take courses from the International Baccalaureate program, as well as University in the High School.
Honors, Special Education classes and English as a New Language classes are available in every academy. While all students will be assigned to an academy, they also can take part in Abrookin Career and Technical Center programs.
Classes in physical education, band, orchestra, chorus, art and health include students from all academies.
Citizenship Academy students are interested in making the world a better place by working with people and organizations with shared goals. These globally aware students learn about environmental, social, cultural, political and economic relations in Citizenship Academy, and they are provided with the skills to navigate and embrace cultural differences. Applying the knowledge of global and cultural perspectives prepares students for academic, professional and social success as productive global citizens.
Choose Citizenship Academy to help prepare for rewarding careers in human services, language and international relations.
- Earn a New York State Seal of Biliteracy for being proficient in listening, speaking, reading and writing in one or more languages in addition to English
- Experience global foods and gourmet cooking in Culinary Arts courses
- Immerse yourself in different cultures through multiple upper-level foreign language studies
- Join French Honor Society
- Join Spanish Club
- Participate in related after-school clubs including Model UN, International Club, French Club and 21st Century Cooking
Discovery Academy allows students considering careers in acting, computer animation, directing, fashion, graphic arts, journalism, music, photography, videography or web design to explore courses that will provide them with the 21st-century skills necessary to be successful in the information age. Discovery Academy students will learn about information, media and technology in courses such as Studio in Art/Electronic Media, Digital Filmmaking or Television Production. Their communication and collaboration skills will soar as they participate in the Theatre Ensemble. Students will have a chance to further explore their creative side in courses such as Studio in Photography or Fashion Illustration and Costume Design.
- Work with Youth FX to create films (Albany High students participated in a film that went to the 2016 Sundance Film Festival!)
- Participate in related after-school clubs including digital film and media arts, gospel singing, music recording, photography,
- cosmetology and dance.
- Complete an independent study/University in the High School program in advanced art
- Earn an Advanced Regents Diploma by completing a five-unit art sequence
- Learn the many facets of production in Digital Filmmaking and Music Recording courses
- Perform in musical and student-written productions of Theatre Ensemble
- Earn a license in cosmetology
- Perform in award-winning music performance groups, including vocal, jazz, wind and symphonic ensembles, and concert band
Innovation Academy focuses on science, technology and engineering to help students succeed in today’s challenging and competitive world. Innovation Academy will empower students with the skills necessary to problem-solve, think critically and creatively, and collaborate! Science is all around us as we interact with the complexity of the natural universe. Technology shapes our everyday lives as we turn on our computers, smartphones, microwaves and countless devices that make our lives more efficient. Engineering provides us the thinking necessary to innovate, create and invent, tackling the challenges of a growing society.
Choose Innovation Academy to prepare for some of the most in-demand and fastest-growing careers in information technology, medicine and health care.
- Delve into our Nanoscale Science course
- Explore Project Lead the Way pre-engineering courses
- Earn Certified Nurse Assistant certification
- Complete our new Computer Science pathway
- Collect, preserve and analyze forensic evidence
- Pursue opportunities for internships, field trips, guest speakers and more
- Join the Robotics Team to compete with national and international teams
Choose Albany High School’s Leadership Academy to establish yourself as a leader in the community and prepare yourself for careers in business, finance and management. Leadership Academy is committed to the following five pillars: diversity, academic excellence, innovative curriculum and professional development, high-quality instructional systems, and family and community partnerships. Leadership Academy builds the intellect and ethics of students so as to develop future productive leaders of society. Every Leadership Academy student will be provided the opportunity to graduate having earned 12 college credits and may participate in an internship aligned to the career pathway of his or her choosing.
- Align your interests to the business world by participating in career excursions as a freshman
- Participate in job-shadowing experiences at local businesses and organizations as a sophomore
- Pursue business internship opportunities in a career of your choosing as a junior/senior
- Complete our accounting pathway and earn your Accounting Basic certification
- Develop soft skills and learn how to build relationships in your occupational field
- Collaborate on a capstone project aligned to your college or career pathway
- Earn scholarships and accumulate college credits to offset the cost of higher education
- Join our Speech and Debate Club