New York State has indicated that high-contact winter sports can begin on Monday, Feb. 1. Please note, the start of the season is contingent upon Albany County Department of Health approval. When/if that occurs, it's important that student-athletes are registered and can begin tryouts and practice immediately.
The City School District of Albany will field the following teams:
- Boys’ basketball (JV and varsity)
- Girls’ basketball (JV and varsity)
- Competitive cheer (varsity)
District enrolled students - regardless of instruction model (in-person or virtual) - in grades 9-12 are eligible to try out. Seventh and eighth-graders who are interested in trying out must email Athletic Director Ashley Chapple (email@example.com), in addition to signing up via Final Forms (link below), to discuss eligibility.
Physicals and Sports Clearance for High-Contact Winter Sports
Any student athlete wishing to try out and participate in basketball or cheerleading will need to have a current physical. The New York State Education Department has determined that students can use physicals from the 2018-19 and 2019-20 school years. Due to the limitations and restrictions regarding COVID-19, the City School District of Albany is not able to offer any in-school physicals for winter 2020-21. It is the responsibility of each family to have this done by an outside doctor or medical facility. Scholar-athletes are encouraged to contact their primary care physician or one of the local urgent care facilities to obtain the required physical. The City School District of Albany’s Health, Physical Education and Athletics Department compiled this list of practitioners who provide sports physicals.
We are now using the Final Forms online platform for registration and all of our athletic medical clearances. Final Forms will allow users and families to upload required medical information necessary for sport clearances. Utilizing this platform will eliminate the need for student-athletes to be cleared in person by the school nurse. If you are not familiar with Final Forms from the fall season, an introduction can be found here. Student-athletes must use a non-district email when signing up with Final Forms.
Week 1 Practice/tryout Information
Student-athletes should come dressed and ready to participate in tryouts - lockers rooms are unavailable due to COVID-19 restrictions. Please bring your own water bottle. Contact the athletic office at 518.475.6310 for more information.
- Boys' basketball - Albany High School (enter through Tower 2) - grades 9 and 10, 4-6 p.m. and grades 11 and 12, 6-8 p.m.
- Girls basketball - North Albany Middle School (570 North Pearl St., enter through the former YMCA doors) - grades 11 and 12, 4-6 p.m. and grades 9 and 10, 6-8 p.m.
- Cheerleading - Triple Threat Athletics (25 Walker Way) - 3:45 p.m. Please note that a bus will be leaving Tower 2 at 3:35 p.m. For student-athletes who require transportation, it is recommended that you attend classes in the computer lab at Albany High School so once school has ended for the day, you can board the bus immediately.
Parents, teachers and students: Any athlete trying out for winter sports must finish the entire day of online instruction and not leave class early. Coaches will be understanding if all students cannot make it at exactly at 4 p.m.