Group of Albany High School students posing for a photo at graduation.

Pupil Personnel Services

Phone: 518-475-6130 | Fax: 518-475-6131
Harriet Gibbons Student Services Center
75 Watervliet Avenue, Albany, NY 12206

About our department

Pupil Personnel Services is responsible for providing guidance, attendance, child-protective services, home schooling, home tutoring, student registration and homeless liaison services, and implementing the disciplining procedures for those students who violate the district's Student Code of Conduct.

Kerri Canzone-Ball, Ed.D.

Director of Pupil Personnel Services

Karla McDowell

Assistant Director of Pupil Personnel Services

Michael Panetta

Assistant Director of Pupil Personnel Services

Services and resources

In response to the December 2015 findings of an investigation by the New York State Attorney General’s Office, the City School District of Albany has reaffirmed its commitment to changing discipline practices and procedures that have perpetuated disproportionate suspension rates for black students and students with disabilities.

Learn more here.

A student who misses too much school runs the risk of failing or dropping out. And when that happens, the student cuts off his or her chances to graduate and make it in today’s world.

That’s why the City School District of Albany has stepped up its efforts to get students to school and keep them engaged.

Learn more about attendance here.

The City School District of Albany is guided by a Student Code of Conduct that is reviewed annually and updated by the Board of Education.

Learn more about the Code of Conduct here.

The purpose of the City School District of Albany Dignity for All Students team is to ensure that all students, regardless of gender, national origin, ethnicity, religions, mental or physical abilities, gender identity, weight, height, ethnic group, religious practices, and sexual orientation, are provided an environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and fear, in order to come to school safely and without impediment to learning from these courses.

Learn more about DASA.

The district provides guidance and counseling services to all middle and high school students. 

Learn more here.

You can also view our Comprehensive School Counseling Plan to learn more about what we do. This document is our plan for social-emotional learning and college and career readines, and provides an outline of services provided at each grade level.

Crisis Chat is a place to talk about problems and stress that may be difficult to talk about anywhere else. It is a place to find non-judgmental support and help through a difficult time. Crisis Chat is a place to find information on mental-health problems and services. It’s a confidential, secure and anonymous way of reaching out for help when you don’t know where else to turn.

Crisis Chat is for anyone who is going through a hard time and just needs to talk, including people who are thinking about suicide. It’s for anyone who may be experiencing depression, anxiety, relationship problems, family stressors, abuse, financial issues and more. It’s for anyone looking for a compassionate connection when they are feeling most alone

Open enrollment is a school-choice option through which parents can enroll their children in a school other than their neighborhood elementary school. It applies to non-magnet elementary schools only.

The ability to use open enrollment depends on available space in the school you want your child to attend. Siblings of students already open-enrolled at a school will be given preference. However, open enrollment is not guaranteed. Open-enrolled students who live less than 1.5 miles from their school are not eligible for transportation.

For more information, visit our Open Enrollment page.

New York state law requires minors to obtain an employment certificate before they can begin working.

A student may obtain working papers by going in person to his or her middle- or high-school guidance counselor or Pupil Personnel Services. The State Education Department requires that the following information be provided:

For more information, contact Pupil Personnel Services at (518) 475-6130 or visit the State Education Department's website.

Parents/guardians are permitted to educate their children at home in accordance with Education Law and 100.10 of the commissioner’s regulations. 

To learn more, visit our Home Instruction page.

If your housing is uncertain or unstable, students have education rights and can receive supports and services under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Improvements Act of 2001.

Visit our homlessness and temporary housing page to learn more.