Data Privacy and Security
The City School District of Albany is committed to protecting student data in accordance with State Federal laws and regulations, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), Children's Internet Privacy Act (CIPA) and New York State Education Law § 2-d (and the Part 121 Amendment).
To affirm our commitment to safeguarding student personally identifiable information (PII) in educational records from unauthorized access or disclosure in accordance with State and Federal law, the City School District of Albany establishes the following parental bill of rights:
- Student PII will be collected and disclosed only as necessary to achieve educational purposes in accordance with State and Federal Law.
- A student's personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any marketing or commercial purposes by the district or any a third-party contractor. The district will not sell student personally identifiable information and will not release it for marketing or commercial purposes, other than directory information released by the district in accordance with district policy;
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child's education record;
- State and federal laws, such as NYS Education Law §2-d and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, protect the confidentiality of students’ personally identifiable information. Safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred;
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State Education Department is available for public review at http://nysed.gov.data-privacy-security or by writing to: Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Ave., Albany, NY 12234
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches and unauthorized disclosures of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed to the District’s Data Protection Officer through submission of the form, below, or in writing to the Data Protection Officer, 33 Essex Street, Albany, NY 12206. Complaints can also be directed to the New York State Education Department online at http://nysed.gov.data-privacy-security, by mail to the Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234 or by email to email@example.com or by telephone at 5178-474-0937.
- Parents have the right to be notified in accordance to applicable laws and regulations if a breach or unauthorized release of their student’s PII occurs.
Download Parent Bill of Rights
Information and Data Privacy Security, Breach, and Notification
Information and Data Privacy Security, Breach, and Notification (Regulation)
1. Submit your concern online using this form
2. Download, complete, print and mail this form:
Data Protection Officer
Office of Assessment, Accountability & Technology Innovation
33 Essex Street
Albany, NY 12206