Phone: 518-475-6230 | Fax: 518-475-6202
700 Washington Ave., Albany, NY 12203
Discovery Academy allows students considering careers in acting, computer animation, directing, fashion, graphic arts, journalism, music, photography, videography or web design to explore courses that will provide them with the 21st-century skills necessary to be successful in the information age. Discovery Academy students will learn about information, media and technology in courses such as Studio in Art/Electronic Media, Digital Filmmaking or Television Production. Their communication and collaboration skills will soar as they participate in the Theatre Ensemble. Students will have a chance to further explore their creative side in courses such as Studio in Photography or Fashion Illustration and Costume Design.
- Work with Youth FX to create films (Albany High students participated in a film that went to the 2016 Sundance Film Festival!)
- Participate in related after-school clubs including digital film and media arts, gospel singing, music recording, photography,
- cosmetology and dance.
- Complete an independent study/University in the High School program in advanced art
- Earn an Advanced Regents Diploma by completing a five-unit art sequence
- Learn the many facets of production in Digital Filmmaking and Music Recording courses
- Perform in musical and student-written productions of Theatre Ensemble
- Earn a license in cosmetology
- Perform in award-winning music performance groups, including vocal, jazz, wind and symphonic ensembles, and concert band